Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'd "Chews" You!

It's Teacher Appreciation week and that means that I have an excuse to get crafty! Yesterday I made chocolate dipped strawberries for both of my kid's teachers with a cute tag. I had to go to the PTA meeting and of course I was running late, so I didn't get a chance to photograph them. I bought a bunch of Trident gum yesterday at the store because I had coupons for them, so I decided to create another little teacher gift to send to school today! The saying is pretty cheesy, but if anyone can appreciate a little cheese, it has to be elementary school teachers, right?

I have been wanting to create a little box using my Nestabilites dies and this was the perfect opportunity. Two packs of Trident gum fit nicely side by side in the little box I created and the nestabilities die fit perfectly on the top and the bottom. I really should have taken a picture with the lid off so that you could get a better idea of how I did it, but they are already on their way to school! LOL! I will probably be making some more of these boxes in the future, so I will show it then.
The base of each box is created using Kraft cardstock for a heavy duty base. I used some scraps of paper that I had laying around (October Afternoon-Thrift Shop Collection) which is always nice! I like to get things utilized and used up. I used "Baby Button Bits" again, which I promised I wouldn't, but this image looked so nice with the paper, I couldn't resist. I have been getting a lot of use out of that set besides baby projects.

I created the sentiment on my computer (ETA: I used "Castellar" and "Kunstler Script" for the fonts) and printed it out onto PTI's stampers select Vintage Cream cardstock which is my favorite! If I can come up with another fun, inexpensive idea, I will put together another little something for tomorrow. Our "Teacher Appreciaton" committee has done a great job putting together cute gifts, so I don't want to do a repeat. I also don't want to spend a lot of money since the end of the year is creeping up at the end of this month. I would rather save my money and do something nice then. Also, our Principal is leaving this year and I will want to do a nice gift for her as well.
Speaking of school, we have been having some troubles with Emma in regards to her reading, spelling and writing. I have been wondering if she has Dyslexia. I went and spoke to her teacher yesterday when I dropped off the chocolate dipped strawberries to voice my concerns. I had brought it up earlier in the year at a Parent Teacher Conference, but nothing ever came of it. When I spoke to her yesterday, she was worried and had noticed some problems. Needless to say, we are having her eyes checked today to see if that could be a factor. When I googled "Dyslexia" yesterday and read the warning signs, I was really scared and cried for hours. I believe that she does indeed have it. We have a Dr.'s appointment in June (that was the soonest they could see me) which seems like an eternity away! The information I read said that early intervention is the best and not to wait until it is too late! EEEk! I feel like we have already waited too long. I know that everything will work out, but I know that we will have a lifetime of struggle and I will have to learn the elusive art of patience.
I will be back for sure for Saturday's SFYTT!Thanks for fluttering by!

16 comments:

Jaime Benavides said...

This is gorgeous! What fonts did you use? Thanks;)

Chris said...

Gosh I just love this - the colors and look are perfect. Good for you for talking to the teacher again, as parents we do the best we can and it sounds like you are!!

daisykl said...

The boxes are beautiful! Lucky teachers to have your children as students. I'm glad you are pursuing you daughter's possible learning difference (I don't like to call it a disability because that sounds so negative) Dyslexia is so treatable, don't let it get you (or your daughter) down.

Betty Benton said...

Your box is wonderful! I'd love to see a tutorial whenever you get the time! Now, if you do get a diagnosis of dyslexia for Emma, please go to www.neuhaus.org I used to work at this non-profit organization and although they are mainly a teacher training facility, they also offer great parent resources.

slbt17 said...

very pretty!
Sandra

Eveline said...

Don't worry to much untill you have the right diagnosis, you'll waste to much energy that way. BTW there is a headmaster in a school in the UK who has dyslexia!
Eveline.

Eveline said...

Completely forgot to mention the box. It's gorgeous. I would like to see how you made it.
Eveline.

Kathy Martin said...

This ROCKS! Very well done! I would almost cry if someone gave me something this sweet! :)

Jennette Warren said...

Your stuff is slways darling.... Kelly could yu please send me directions on how you made your banners, i need to make one for my darling father in law's bday....
mjkavwarren@msn.com

Thanks for always sharing your talents with us...
Hugs,
Jennette

Cynthia said...

Kelly, once again I've been away way too long! Rowan is growing up so fast! He's such a little doll!

Your teachers' are so lucky! You are so sweet to make such adorable and thoughtful gifts. I just can't stop staring at this little box - perfection is right!!!!!

Cynthia said...

Kelly,

Once again I've been away too long! Rowan is growing up so fast and is such a living doll!

You are so good to your teachers! You are the sweetest and I just can't stop staring at this darling project - perfection!!!!

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

Pretty Box!
On the Dyslexia--take a deep breath. Get the diagnosis, do the research--there's so much available to help these days---but---the way you react/respond to it--will affect your daughter. If you can take a "we're taking this in stride" attitude/approach, not only will she cope much better, she will not feel quite as "different" than others in her class. I have a friend whose daughter has downs. She had 3 boys before her daughter. She helped her daughter but also because of the other ones, kept life as normal as she could and, as a result, the daughter with downs is at a much higher level than anyone thought she'd be. She was taught basic coping skills early on and had to tag along with brothers. This gal is very loving, outgoing, and not the least bit shy! Smart, too! Thoughts and prayers

Elizabeth S. said...

Such a gorgeous box! Love the pattern papers.

Hannah said...

I love this! I featured your project on the CARDS Magazine blog:
http://northridgemedia.net/blogs/cards/

Elaine said...

Just a quick note to say love the holder - looking forward to your next 'info post' on how to make them and the insides...

And re dyslexia...it's not all bad. My brothers both had it and while they struggled in school, they're both successful professionals and have great careers now! One has been at Boeing for over 20 years and is doing very well! Actually they both are doing well - the other brother is focused more on sports but that didn't keep him from being a sought after graphic designer! :)

Lisa f. said...

If I missed this, I apologize, but I was wondering if you could post the instructions for the box? SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute...love it!